Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

King Solomon's Hill
 

King Solomon's hill is that portion of Bonanza, left limit, lying between Monte Cristo and Boulder "pups," or from Nos. 29 to 33 below discovery, and merits note as one of Bonanza's richest "ancient channel" placer deposits, both for depth and richness of pay dirt, and not a blank claim on the hill.  This bench was being prospected as early as March and April, 1898.  But the melting snow in spring time filled the shafts with water, and the discouraged miners abandoned the field, little dreaming of the immensity of the hidden treasurer they left behind.  When the snow had left the hills, other cheechakos tried their luck on the steep hillside by prospecting for the outer rim of the old channel, but pay was not located till about the first of June, when a landslide occurred opposite No. 30 below, which induced several prospectors to pan the dirt along the slide, where colors were found which encouraged one man, Henry W. Brown, an old Montana prospector, late of Custer, Washington, to go above the slide and search for the river.  To his great pleasure and surprise the first little hole at a depth of 18 inches showed five cents to the pan, and a second hole struck pay at one foot deep, the first pan going 10 cents, and the second 19 cents.

A claim 250x100 feet was staked off on lower limit of Nos. 31 and 32 and a pit stripped that yielded from 15 to 40 cents to the pan.  Soon after, a stampede followed and those who secured claims may be considered among the few lucky Klondikers.

Tunnels have penetrated the hillside at intervals to a distance of 200 to 300 feet, until the succession of large dumps look like a long stretch of railroad grade from the gulch over 200 feet below.

The second and many of the third tier benches are developed by shafts from 100 to 114 feet to bedrock with excellent results.  The great depth to bedrock has discouraged prospecting beyond the third tier, hence the worth of its hidden treasure is yet unknown, although it is well known that the "ancient channel" gravel is over a mile in breadth.  The hill, which was a forest a year ago, now has the appearance of a long village of cabins and tents.  A few of the original locators have sold out and energetic men have taken their places.  Among the present mine owners we can give the names of Myers, Bradley, Kirk, Gaines, Sibbet and Bemis, Caligan and Kelly, Brown, Lewis, Cockburn, Goheens, Morrissey, Harry Ash and others whose names we do not know.  We can speak with certainty of but one mine and of it we can say that the gross output for the month of April, 1899, was $2628.20; May, $5277.24; June, $6737.77; July, $6506.05; aggregating, $21,149.26 for the four months, and had it not been for bad air in the mine during the warm weather the output would have far exceeded these figures.  The ground had to be "burned" as usual, and the pay rocked out on the dumps by the use of the little water that exists in the mine.  The above is the result of from eight to twelve men's labor and mostly but four or five days a week, owing to bad air.  The mine referred to is but begun to be prospected and improves with development.  The slight falling off in July as compared with June, was due to the extreme hot weather and consequent bad air.  Regular pay rather than big pans are the rule in his hill.

Source: The Klondike Nugget, November 1, 1899.

 



 


ęCopyright 2013 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress