Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

  Alaska's Forts

 

Abercrombie Fort 1941 - 1948 Kodiak, Kodiak Island Miller Point, later named Fort Abercrombie, was part of a group of permanent coastal defense installations in the area. Miller Point fort was originally manned in April 1941 by Battery C, 250th Coast Artillery Regiment, California National Guard. They arrived on the Army transport St. Mihiel.  By November 11, 1941, it was manned by battery A. Battery B was located at Spruce Cape. (Part of Ft. Aberombie.) Battery C was at Long Island (later named Ft. Tidball, equipped with two six-inch guns). Battalion Headquarters was at Buskin Hill, with support barracks where the present day USCG housing is located at Nemetz Park. Battery D was at Cape Chiniak, later Ft. J.R. Smith. The batteries received the official "Fort" names on April 29, 1943. All of these installations were part of Ft. Greely which was formally established in September 1941. (Named for arctic explorer, Maj. Gen. Adolphus W. Greely.) Miller Point was renamed Fort Abercrombie for Lt. Col. William R. Abercrombie, a major US Army explorer of Alaska in the 19th century.  The original crew of six observers were housed and fed at Ft. Greely. After the Pearl harbor attack, the site was manned continuously. Ultimately there were 150-200 men and about 25 quonset huts at Abercrombie. All the Ft. Greely installations together reached a top strength of more than 11,000 men. In December 1944, all of the Ft. Greely installations were placed in caretaker status.   Battery 404 was located here from 1944 - 1946.
Adak Post 1942  - 1946 Adak Island An Army airfield and Navy base (Adak Naval Station) protected by two 6-inch naval guns. Several 155mm guns on Panama mounts were located at Zeto Point (mounts still intact). An AMTB battery was located at Kruluk Bay. Sixty AA guns were emplaced around the island. Restricted public access.
Adams Fort 1868 - unknown near Tanana An American trading post located at the mouth of the Tozi (Tozitna ?) River. Possibly the same as Nukluroyit Station below.
Agattu   1942 Agattu Island Captured by Japan and briefly held in 1942. Not fortified by the U.S. Army.
Alexander (1) Fort 1785 - unknown Kenai A large Russian fort (120-yards square, stockaded, with two bastions, and 22 other buildings) located at the mouth of the Kenai River. Also called Fort Alexandrovsk (1) and Alexander Redoubt.
Alexander (2) Fort 1818 - unknown Nushagak A Russian trading post located north of Clarks Point. A large stockade and blockhouse was added in 1834. Variously known as Fort Alexandrovsk (2), Fort Alexandrovski, Fort Alexandra, and Fort Nushagak.
Amchitka Post 1943 - 1946 Amchitka Island U.S. Army airfield was protected by eight 155mm guns on Panama mounts located at Constantine Harbor (mounts still intact). Several machine-gun pillboxes still remain along the airfield.
Anchorage Camp 1919 - 1926 Anchorage Established to protect the railroad that was under construction at the time. Located one mile north of town.
Andreavski Fort 1853 - 1867 Old Andreafski A Russian stockaded trading post located on the right bank of the Yukon, near the head of the delta, about 13 miles below the mouth of the Milavanoff (Andreafsky ?) River near St. Marys. In August, 1855, the natives killed its two inmates.  It has been variously written Andreafski, Andreaivsky, Andreievsky, i.e., Andrew's, etc.  The place appears on early 20th century maps as Old Andreafski, and Andreafski appears at a new site 5 miles farther up the river.  It became the most important trading post on the lower Yukon, situated on the right bank of Clear river, about two miles above its junction with the Yukon and 120 miles above the mouth of the latter.  Located there are warehouses, stores, and dwellings of the Northern Commercial Company.  A miles above on the same side of Clear river is the extensive winter quarters of the Northern Commercial Company, where the company established machine shops, a maritime railway for hauling out its vessels, a large hotel, and an electric plant to light the buildings. Abandoned before the American transfer of the territory.
Annette Island Post 1940 - 1945 Annette Island A four-gun 155mm gun battery on Panama mounts was located on Davison Point (mounts still remain). Two 6-inch naval guns were located at Smuggler Cove (gone). Anti-aircraft defenses were provided by Canadian troops.
Atka Island Post 1942 - 1946 Atka Island Site of major U.S. Army and Navy bases during World War II.
Babcock Fort 1942 - 1944 Shoals Point, Kruzof Island Located at the entrance to Sitka Sound. Battery 290 (uncompleted) and a two-gun 6-inch naval gun battery (1942) (no remains) are located here, very overgrown. The remnants of the WWII barracks and Quonset Huts are still extant. A fire-control station was built at Lava Point (overgrown ruins). Fire-control and searchlight stations were planned but never built for Mt. Edgecumbe, Cape Edgecumbe, Sitka Point, and St. Lazaria Island. An SCR-296A radar tower may have been built on St. Lazaria Island.
Batzulnetas Fort unknown - 1848 near Slana ? A Russian trading post on the Copper River, abandoned after the garrison was massacred by Indians. An American military expedition in 1885 reported finding the remains of the post, the site of which no white man had visited in the intervening years.
Bethel Post 1942 - 1945 Bethel A WWII Army post.
Big Delta Post 1904, 1942 - 1945 Big Delta A WWII Army post protecting the Alaska Highway.  Established as McCarty Telegraph Station by the USA Signal Corps in 1904, the community changed its name to conform with that of an area post office operating in the town from 1925-1959.  The name Big Delta came into being to pinpoint the community's location at the juncture of the Tanana and Delta rivers and to differentiate it from Delta Telegraph Station on nearby Little Delta River.
Brumback Fort 1942 - 1944 Constantine Point, Unalaska Island Battery Constantine Point (aka Battery Summer Bay) four 155mm guns on Panama mounts (mounts still remain) was located here. Some structures still remain.
Bulkley Fort 1941 - 1944 Rugged Island Battery 294 is here. Searchlight shelters, a radar tower, and fire-control stations still exist. Others were once on Patsy Point, Carol Cove, and Alma Point. Rugged Island is located on the opposite side of the bay and further south from Caines Head.
Circle City Camp 1898 - 1900 Circle City An Army post that occupied a former local trading post for miners. A subpost of Fort Egbert.
Copper Fort 1819 - unknown Chitina A Russian cabin and later trading post.
Cordova Post 1942 - 1946 Spike Island A one-gun 6-inch naval gun battery was located here (mount remains) to protect the nearby Navy Section Base at Cordova. Several machine-gun pillboxes are still located at the airfield. Site is now owned by the U.S. Coast Guard.
Cosmos Fort 1885 - 1886 near Kobuk ? An American military winter camp. Site located 130 miles up the Kobuk River.
Davis Fort 1899 - 1919 or 1921 Nome An American post located at the mouth of the Nome River. It was built for protection for gold miners. American Camp Nome (1900) was located in town.  The fort was on the line of the military telegraph near its northwestern terminus.
Delarof Fort 1833 - unknown Unga, Unga Island A Russian stockaded post near Squaw Harbor. Also called Delarof Redoubt.
Derabin Fort   Nulato A Russian named Derabin built a post at Nulato.  He became the first bidarshik (head trader) and called it Fort Derabin.  He was killed in the February 16, 1851 Nulato massacre.  Afterward, the post was rebuilt and named for the nearby Nulato River.  Became Fort Nulato after being attacked twice.  Moved downstream from its original site in 1841 or 1842.
Dyea Camp 1898 - 1899 Dyea An Army post located at the mouth of the Taiya River. Established to relieve destitution among miners. It was destroyed by fire and replaced by Camp Skagway.
Earle Camp   Attu Island Captured and fortified by Japan 1942 - 1943. One 75mm AA Japanese gun still remains. Recaptured by the U.S. Army in 1943 who then established Camp Earle (aka Attu Post). Several 155mm guns on Panama mounts were located at Chichagof Point. Also emplaced were 21 AA guns.  Attu Battlefield and Army-Navy Airfields info by NPS.
Egbert Fort 1899 - 1911 Eagle Originally called Camp Eagle City.  Established during the Klondike Gold Rush, as U.S. Army headquarters in the District of Alaska next to Eagle, to protect this Yukon River supply center for gold miners and mining community near the Canadian border. It was built at the mouth of Mission Creek near the present town of Eagle on the upper Yukon River, and so named by the War Department in 1899.  It serviced the telegraph lines that ran from Eagle to Valdez and St. Michael with relay stations every 25 or 30 miles.   Horses and mules were used to carry repair crews, rations, etc. to the telegraph operators along the lines.  Blue was the color of the soldier's' uniforms at this fort, which was abandoned in 1911.  Five of the original 47 buildings have been reconstructed, including the non-commissioned officers' quarters. A stable and bakery are still in good condition (1966), and the Army's old parade ground was converted into a 1,600-foot runway for small craft.  The Signal Corps remained after 1911 to operate the telegraph station.
Etches Fort 1787 - unknown Hinchinbrook Island A Russian stockaded trading post built by the Lebedoff Company. One side of the stockade was formed by an armed ship hauled on shore. Located on the western side of the island.
Excursion Inlet Post 1942 - 1945 Excursion Inlet A WWII Army post.
Galena Post 1942 - 1945 Galena A WWII Army post.
George Island Post 1942 - 1946 George Island A one-gun 6-inch naval gun battery was located here on Granite Cove (gun still remains in situ) to guard the Navy Section Base at Port Althorp. A Quonset Hut and foundations of other buildings still remain at the site.
Georgiyevsk Fort 1817 - unknown unknown location A Russian trading post and earthworks located somewhere on Cook Inlet.
Gibbon Fort 1899 - 1923 Tanana An American military post built for protection for gold miners, on the north bank of the Yukon, at the mouth of the Tanana river. It was the headquarters post of all interior Alaska until 1923.  Named after General John Gibbon, U.S. Army.
Glenn Cape Field at Fort 1942 Umnak, Aleutian Islands Constructed between January and April 1942.
Glenn Fort 1942 - 1946 Umnak Island An Army airbase near Tulik Volcano. Now the site of Bering Pacific Ranch. One 6-inch naval gun was located at Sheep Point (mount still remains). Also located here were up to nine 155mm guns on Panama mounts. A two-gun 6-inch naval gun battery was located across the pass near Chernofski, at Mutton Cove on Unalaska Island (destroyed). There were no protected port facilities on Umnak Island.
Glory of Russia Fort 1790-1803/4 Yakutat Bay Russian penal colony established near Ankau creek, on the southeastern shore of Yakutat bay. It has been referred to as the Yakutat colony or settlement. New Russia, Novarassi, Slavarassi, Slawa Rossij, etc. Presumably named after Billings's vessel the Slava Rossie (Glory of Russia). The history of the place is very obscure. It was fortified with a blockhouse and stockade by Polomoshnoi in 1790, and in perpetual trouble ever after till exterminated by the natives in about 1803 or 1804. Russell visited the site in 1891, and reports that the cellars marking the site contain spruce trees, some of them 2 feet in diameter.  
Greely (1) Fort 1941 - 1944 Kodiak, Kodiak Island The headquarters post for the harbor defenses and the nearby Navy base. Battery Artillery Hill (1942) (two 6-inch naval guns) and Battery Bushkin Hill (1942 - 1945) four 155mm guns on Panama mounts (mounts still remain) were located here. An Anti Motor Torpedo Boat battery (1943 - 1945) was located on Puffin Island (restricted access). The HDCP/HECP bunker still remains on Artillery Hill. Bushkin Hill is now a Coast Guard base. Two AA battery sites still remain. Several searchlight shelters also still remain. Fire-control stations were located at Mansfield Ridge and Gibson Cove.
Greely Fort 1942 - present   Established as Big Delta Army Air Field, the post became the headquarters of the Army Arctic Test Center in 1948 and, upon construction of a larger facility in 1955, was dedicated to the honor of Major General Adolphus Washington Greely, Arctic explorer and founder of the Alaska Communications System. During World War II, The Alaska Highway was built to connect an existing road in Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada with the Richardson Highway in Alaska
Gulkana Post 1942 - 1945 Gulkana A WWII Army post protecting the junction of the Richardson Highway and the Tok Cut-Off to the Alaska Highway.
Hamilton Fort unknown dates Hamilton and New Hamilton The first fort was located on Apoon Pass about 25 miles from the river mouth. Called Nunapithlugak or Fort Hamilton by the Coast Survey in 1899, and Old Fort Hamilton (Nonapeklowak) in 1901.  New Fort Hamilton was located on Kwikpak Pass about 20 miles above old Fort Hamilton. Both forts were local trading posts. The new fort may have been American (the North American Transportation and Trading Company).
Hamlin Fort 1899 ? Fort Hamlin This abandoned trading post was located on the Yukon River north of Livengood on the south bank of the Yukon River, ten miles below the mouth of the Dall River south of Stevens Village.  It was established by the Alaska Commercial Company and named in honor of Charles Sumner Hamlin, assistant secretary of the treasury, 1893-1897, who was a delegate to the 1897 Anglo-American fur-seal fishing convention.
Juneau Post 1942 - 1945 Juneau A WWII Army garrison.
Kenay Fort 1791 - 1797,
1869 - 1870
Kenai An American one-square mile post. Also spelled Kenai.  A fortified post was established here by Grigor Konovalof, commanding the ship St. George, of the Lebedef-Lastochkin Company, in August, 1791, and called fort or redoubt St. Nicholas or St. Nicolas or St. Nikolas. Alternate names for the Russian fort are Nikolaevsk Redoubt, Fort Nikolaya, Kenai Redoubt, Paul's Fort, Fort St. Paul, and Pavlovskaya Redoubt. On a Russian map of 1802 it is called Pavlovskaia, i.e., Paul, and a manuscript note says fort De Pawlofsk. It was attacked by Dena'ina Indians in 1797.  In the summer of 1869 there was a military post of the United States here called Fort Kenai, and by this name Kenai, a native name, the place is now known.
Kennicott Fort 1866 Nulato A post built by the Western Union Telegraph Expedition. Abandoned because the winter was too cold.
Kiksadi Indian Fort 1804 Sitka, Baranof Island Site of a Tlingit Indian stockade where they made their last stand against the Russian settlers who were retaliating against the burning of Fort Archangel Michael.
Kiska Post 1943 - 1946 Kiska Island Captured and fortified by Japan 1942 - 1943. Japanese guns still remaining on the island (at North Head) include one 4.7-inch quick-firing M1905 British gun, one 6-inch M1900 British gun, four 150mm naval guns, one 140mm coast defense gun, four 120mm dual-purpose guns, and several 3-inch M1900 British guns. One 6-inch M1894 British gun is still located on Little Kiska Island. The Japanese evacuated after losing Attu Island. The U.S. Army then established Kiska Post in 1943.
Kodiak Fort 1868 - 1870 Kodiak, Kodiak Island An American post. Located nearby was the Russian stockaded blockhouse Fort Pavlosk (1792 - 1868), the first headquarters for the Russian fur trade until 1808. The first white settlement (Russian) was nearby at Three Saints Bay (Old Harbor) in 1784.
Kolmakof Fort (Alexander) 1832 - unknown undetermined location Ivan Simonson Lukeen, a Russian Creole, ascended the Kuskokwim in 1832 to this place, where he built a stockade, which was for a time known as Lukeen's fort. In 1841 it was partially destroyed by the Indians with fire, whereupon it was rebuilt by Alexander Kolmakof and took his name. Variously known since as Kolmakof redoubt, Kolmakovskl, etc.
Konstantine Fort 1792 - unknown Nuchek, Hinchinbrook Island  A Russian stockaded post, called Fort Konstantine or Konstantinovsk. On a Russian chart of 1802 it is called fort and harbor of  Konstantine and Helena. It was visited by Vancouver in June, 1794, and was not in existence in June, 1792.  Alternate names include Fort St. Helens and Fort Helena.   
Koutznou Fort   1867 Admirality Island A proposed American military fort that was never actually built.
Learnard Fort 1942 - 1946 Eider Point, Unalaska Island Located on the west bank of the bay. Batteries located here are Battery 298 (1943 - 1946) shields remain, no guns, and an Anti Motor Torpedo Boat battery on Eider Spit (mounts overgrown). Some structures remain intact.
Liscum Fort 1900 - 1922 Port Valdez An Army post at the southern terminus of the Fairbanks-Valdez Military Road. It was garrisoned by Company G, 7th Infantry in 1900, and was abandoned by the military in 1925.  In 1920 the population was 153.  Fort Liscum was named for Colonel Liscom, US Army, a hero of the Boxer Rebellion.Site is near the Trans-Alaska Pipeline's southern terminal, about four miles from Valdez.
McGilvray Fort 1942 - 1944 Seward Batteries here are Battery 293, and Battery Rocky Point (1941 - 1943). A radar tower and several ammo magazines still exist. An Anti Motor Torpedo Boat Battery was on Lowell Point at Miller's Landing (1943 - 1944), which is located between the town and Caines Head. The AMTB mounts still remain.
McGrath Post 1942 - 1945 McGrath A WWII Army post.
Mears Fort 1941 - 1945 Dutch Harbor, Unalaska Island The headquarters post of the Harbor Defenses of Dutch Harbor and the nearby Navy base. It was attacked by Japan in 1942. Several machine-gun pillboxes still exist along many of the nearby beaches. Of interest here is the Museum of the Aleutians, built on the foundation of a military warehouse.  
Morrow Fort 1942 - 1946 Port Heiden A WWII Army post and Navy section base.
Morton Fort 1883 - 1884 near Noorvik An American winter camp for early military explorations. Located at the mouth of the Kobuk River.
Moses Point Post 1942 - 1945 Elim Indian Reservation, Moses Point A WWII Army post.
Naknek Post 1942 - 1945 Naknek A WWII Army post.
Nelson Fort   British Columbia As the site of a Hudson's Bay Company trading post around 1800, this fort was named for famed British naval hero, Lord Horatio Nelson.
Nenana Camp 1942 - 1945 Nenana A WWII Army forward supply base on the Nenana River for other posts down the Yukon River.
Nome Post 1941 - 1946 Nome A two-gun 6-inch naval gun battery was located one mile west of town by the airfield. The guns still exist, but the emplacement was damaged by the effects of nearby gold mining operations.
Northway Post 1942 - 1945 Northway Junction A WWII Army post protecting the Alaska Highway.
Nukluroyit Station 1868 - unknown near Tanana An American trading post built by the Pioneer Company about 12 miles below the confluence of the Yukon and Tanana Rivers. It was the first American post on the Yukon River. The post was bought by the Parrott and Company around 1870. Possibly the same as Fort Adams above.
Nulato Fort 1838 - 1851 Nulato Population in 1900, 281. A Russian-American Fur Co. trading post founded by the Russian, Malakof, who built a blockhouse and stockade near here in 1838. Shortly after, in his absence, this was burned by the Indians.  It was rebuilt in 1842 by Lieutenant Zagoskin of the Russian navy. He was shortly afterwards succeeded by one Vasili Derzhabin, whose many acts of cruelty led to the massacre of the entire garrison by the Koyukuk Indians in 1851. In later years the post was moved 2 miles farther upstream to its present site and called Fort Derabin. Nulato is, and always has been, the great trading center for the natives of the Koyukuk valley. The Roman Catholic mission of St. Peter Claver is located at Nulato. Originally called Fort Derabin, located two miles downstream. The post was probably moved in either 1841 or 1842.

The U.S. Army established a Signal Corps station southwest of here in 1921.
Ozerskoye Redoubt unknown - 1852 Baranof Island A Russian blockhouse that was attacked and burned by Stikine Indians. Located about 16 miles south of Sitka at the outlet to Deep Lake.
Pierce Fort 1941 - 1944 Biorka Island Located at the entrance to Sitka Sound on restricted U.S. Coast Guard property. Battery 291 (uncompleted) is located here. The remnants of the garrison buildings still exist, very overgrown. An SCR-296A radar tower was here also. A concrete fire-control station and two searchlight stations were built on Ataku Island (remains overgrown). Fire-control and searchlight stations were planned for Golf Island and Kita Island, but never built. Remnants of two searchlight shelters, a signal station, and a fire-control station still exist on Little Biorka Island.
Popof Island Post 1942 - 1946 Sand Point, Popof Island A two-gun 6-inch naval gun battery still remains at the old Navy base runway. The HECP bunker still exists.
Portland Inlet Depot 1896 Hyder A U.S. Army Corps of Engineers storehouse complex at Eagle Point. Four stone buildings were built to store supplies for the expedition to explore Portland Inlet and the surrounding area. At least two storehouses (#3 and #4) still exist. One was later used as a jail. These are the oldest masonry buildings in Alaska. Settlers and miners came to Hyder and Stewart, British Columbia in 1898. Hyder was originally named Portland City.
Rampart Camp 1899 - 1901 Rampart An Army post to protect a supply center for gold miners.
Rampart House 1869 - 1891 Old Rampart A Hudson's Bay Co. post built on the Porcupine River to replace Fort Yukon. After a new boundary survey in 1890, the post had to be moved again.
Randall Fort 1942 - 1946) Cold Bay An Army airfield and Navy section base. A two-gun 6-inch naval gun battery was located at Grant Point. One remaining gun is on display near the town dump. A four-gun 155mm gun battery on Panama mounts was located at Mortensen's Lagoon at Thin Point. The HECP bunker still remains at Pride Lake.
Ray Fort 1941 - 1946 Charcoal and Alice Islands Located near the Sitka Naval Air Station (1937). Additional cantonment areas were once located on Baranof Island around Sitka. Several pillboxes and one ammo magazine still remain. Another magazine was destroyed in 2001. Both magazines were once used as mausoleums for Indian tuberculosis victims in the 1950's. Only six garrison buildings still stand, currently in use by commercial interests or residential homes.  Anti-Motor Torpedo Boat Battery #1 was nearby at Watson Point (site now buried by a grocery store, school, and residential area), along with Camps Riley and Aberdeen. Several warehouses and a fire station remain from Camp Riley. Several ammo magazines still exist from Camp Aberdeen. AMTB #2 (mounts still remain on private property) and ruins of other buildings are on Whale Island.
Raymond Fort 1942 - 1945 Seward The headquarters post of the Harbor Defenses of Seward. Fire-control stations and searchlight shelters were located on Barwell Island (Alaska Maritime NWR), Topeka Point, and Chamberlain Point (state property).
Reliance Fort 1874 Dawson, Yukon Territory A former trading post of the Hudson Bay Company on the Yukon River 6 miles below the present city of Dawson.  Its founder, Leroy Napoleon (Jack) McQuesten, and his partners, Al Mayo and Arthur Harper, free traders for the Alaska Commercial Company, established a string of trading posts that played vital roles in the early search for gold in the Yukon.
Resurrection Fort 1792 - unknown near Seward A Russian stockaded blockhouse built by Baranof at Resurrection bay.
Richardson Fort 1940 - present Anchorage Built during 19401941 on the site of what is now Elmendorf Air Force Base. Established as the headquarters of the United States Army, Alaska (USARAK) in 1947, the post moved to its present location five miles (8 km) northeast of Anchorage in 1950.   The post was named in honor of General Wilds Preston Richardson, first president of the Alaska Road Commission, who laid out the Valdez-Fairbanks Trail that became the present-day Richardson Highway.  With separation of the USAF from USA jurisdiction, the military reservation was split between the Department of the Air Force and the Department of the Army.
Rousseau Fort 1941 - 1946 Makhnati Island Battery 292 (proposed name Battery Allen) (1944 - 1946) and a four-gun 155mm battery on 180-degree Panama mounts are here (only two mounts remain). This was the headquarters post for the Harbor Defenses of Sitka. A two-gun 6-inch naval gun battery was here in 1942. Also here are the command bunker, the radar tower (ruins), and two magazines. A rock causeway connected Japonski Island with Nevski, Reshimosti, Virublennoi, Gold, Sasedni, Kirushkin, Mogilnoi, and Makhnati Islands. It is now heavily eroded and awash at high tide in some places. The Sitka Airport was later built where the causeway connected to Japonski Island. Three ammo magazines remain on Virublennoi Island. One magazine and a warehouse/bunker remain on Gold Island. Four AA emplacements and magazines, as well as the weather station and other various foundations, are on Sasedni Island. A tower and bunker remain on Kirushkin Island. One building foundation remains on Mogilnoi Island. Fire-control and searchlight stations were on Clam Island (remains overgrown) and Kayak Island (remains overgrown), and a radar tower and power station was on Abalone Island (ruins overgrown). A HDOP and searchlight station was on Lisianski Peninsula on Baranof Island. Most of the islands are state property.
Saint Dionysius Redoubt 1834 Wrangell harbor, Alexander archipelago By order of Baron Wrangell a log stockade or fortified post was built in Wrangell harbor, spring 1834, by Lieutenant Dionysius Zarembo to prevent encroachments by the Hudson Bay Company. Zarembo called it Redoubt St. Dionysius. Also it has been called St. Dionicio, St. Dionysi, and Dionysius.  Remains of this abandoned and ruined stockade were still to be seen in the early part of the 1900s. 
Saint George Fort 1786 - 1867 Kasilof A Russian trading post located at the mouth of the Kasilof River, built by the Lebedef - Lastochkin Company in 1786 by Russian foreman, Kolomin. This was called St. George, presumably after one of the ships of the company.  The Russian-American Fur Company took over in 1799.  It was burned down before the Americans took possession of Alaska. Also called Kasilof River Post and Fort Kussilof.  The name Georgiefskaia appears on the old maps.
Saint James Fort 1806 British Columbia Established by Simon Fraser, the trading post was the New Caledonia headquarters of the Hudson's Bay Company.
Saint John Fort 1790 British Columbia Site of the oldest white settlement in mainland British Columbia, the original fort was built in the mid-1790s by the North West Company under the direction of Sir Alexander Mackenzie, first white man to traverse the area from the Great lakes region to the Pacific Coast.  
Saint Michael (2) Fort 1833 - 1867, 1874 - 1886, 1897 - 1923 St. Michael A Russian-American Fur Co. stockaded blockhouse was established here by the Russians, 1833, and, according to Zagoskin, named after Captain Michael Dmitrievich Tebenkof, afterwards governor of the Russian-American colony. It was called Redoubt St. Michael or Michaelovski. The native name is Techek (the bay). Attacked by Unaligmut Indians in 1836.  The village was occupied by Americans 1874 - 1886, and a new post built in 1897 - 1923. 
Saint Michael (1) Fort 1799 - 1877 Sitka, Baranof Island The location of the Russian settlement at Katlianski Bay, "Redoubt Saint Michael," is known today as Starrigavan Bay, or "Old Harbor." The outpost consisted of a large warehouse, blacksmith shop, cattle sheds, barracks, stockade, block house, a bath house, quarters for the hunters, and a residence for Baranov.  Also known as Fort Archangel Michael, and Fort Archangel Gabriel. The Tlingit Indians burned it down in 1801, and the Kolosh Indians destroyed it in 1802. The Russian settlement, also called New Archangel, or Novo Archangelesk, was founded in 1799 and served as the headquarters for the Russian-American Fur Company. The fort was rebuilt in 1804, and the settlement became the capital of Russian America in 1808. The Russian Navy took control of Alaska in 1818. A replica of a Russian blockhouse (1824) is also located here. Fort St. Dionys (1831) was also here. The official transfer of Alaska to the Americans took place here in 1867, and the fort was renamed Post of Sitka, sometimes referred to as Fort Sitka. Sitka was the territorial capital until 1900. Nearby to the north, Castle Hill (1804) was the fortified governor's mansion, also called The Castle, (Alexander) Baranof's Castle, and Fort New Archangel (Fort Novo Arkangelesk).
Saint Paul Island Post 1869 - 1870,
1942 - 1945
St. Paul Island An Army post on a remote island in the Bering Sea. The island was again in use by the military in WWII. Also called St. Paul Post.
Saint Simeon. Fort 1802 - unknown Cape Suckling, Controller Bay Shown on a Russian map of 1802.
Schwatka Fort 1943 - 1945 Ulakta Head, Amaknak Island Batteries located here are Battery 402 (1943 - 1946) (aka Battery Mt. Ballyhoo) (proposed name Battery Bunker), a two-gun 155mm gun battery on Panama mounts (1942) (mounts still remain), and an Anti Motor Torpedo Boat battery located on Ballyhoo/Amaknak Spit (1943 - 1946) no remains. Battery Hill 400 (1942 - 1943) four 155mm guns on Panama mounts (mounts still remain) was under the command of Fort Mears. A 3-inch AA gun was also here in 1942. Battery 299 was never built.
Selkirk Fort 1848 - 1852 Yukon Territory Name honors Thomas Douglas, 5th earl of Selkirk and major stockholder in the Hudson's Bay Company who attempted in the 1850s to resettle Scottish farmers in British North America.  The first post was established at the confluence of the Pelly and Lewes rivers in 1848 by the Hudson's Bay Company explorer-trader, Robert Campbell, and burned by the Chilkoot Indians in 1852 to protect their trade monopoly with the "Stick" Indians of the Yukon interior.  The site subsequently served as a trading post and settlement known variously as Fort Selkirk and Selkirk in the pre- and post-Klondike Gold Rush eras.
Seward Fort William H.   Haines Also known as Chilkoot Barracks or as AHRS Site No. SKG-001 is a site at Port Chilkoot. It was the last of a series of 11 military posts established in Alaska during the gold rush era.
Seward Fort William H. 1898 - 1943 Port Chilkoot - Haines This was the first permanent U.S. Army post in Alaska. Originally called Post at Haines Mission until 1904. In 1922 the name was changed to Chilkoot Barracks. Sold and became a private community in 1946. It was renamed back to Fort Seward in 1970 when Port Chilkoot merged with Haines.
Shemya Post 1943 Shemya Island Established  by the U.S. Army, including an airstrip. An AMTB battery still remains in situ, and possibly one or two other batteries were located here. Shemya Air Force Base was renamed Eareckson Air Force Station in 1993. Still active as a subpost of Elmendorf Air Force Base.
Skagway Camp 1898 - 1904 Skagway An Army post located at the mouth of the Skagway River near the head of Taiya Inlet. The post was discontinued and the garrison moved to Fort Seward.

The Canadian North West Mounted Police had a small detachment here (Skagway Post) from 1897 - 1898 before the American Army arrived.
Smith Fort 1941 - 1945 Cape Chiniak, Kodiak Island Batteries located here on St. Peter's Head are Battery 403 (1944 - 1945) and Battery Chiniak Point (1942 - 1945) four 155mm guns on Panama mounts (mounts still remain). Battery 295 was never built. A temporary battery of two 155mm guns on Panama mounts was here in 1942 (mounts still remain). Nearby fire-control stations were located at Narrow Cape, Soquel Point, Cape Greville, and Midway Point. Several structures remain. The Air Force later had a tracking station here at Cape Chiniak.
Stikine Fort     A fur trade post and fortification in what is now the Alaska Panhandle, at the site of the present-day of Wrangell. Originally built as the Redoubt San Dionisio or Redoubt Saint Dionysius in 1834; renamed to was re-named Fort Wrangel in 1867
Stikine Fort 1840 - 1849 near Wrangell A Hudson's Bay Co. post at Point Highfield near the mouth of the Stikine River. Also called Fort Highfield, and erroneously called Fort Durham (2) in British reports. Originally this was the Russian Redoubt St. Dionysius (1834 - 1840), a log-stockaded blockhouse which was built to keep the Hudson's Bay Company out of the area. It was handed over to the British in 1840.
Stockade Point 1840/41 - unknown Taku Harbor, Alexander archipelago The eastern point of entrance to Taku harbor, Stephens passage.  So named by Mead, 1869.  On the point was a ruined blockhouse and stockade built by the Hudson Bay Company 1840-41.
Suvarov Fort 1830's Naknek A Russian trading post with a stockaded blockhouse, also called Fort Naknek.
Taku Fort 1840 - 1843 Taku Harbor A Hudson's Bay Co. 150-foot square stockaded trading post, with two octagonal blockhouses at the corners, officially called Fort Durham (1). Located at the extreme northeast corner of Taku Harbor, on the eastern side of the outlet for Taku Lake. Abandoned for Fort Victoria, British Columbia, due to poor economic conditions.
NOTE: Stockade Point, at the southern entrance to Taku Harbor, was named by the Americans in 1869 on the wrong assumption that Fort Taku was once there.
Tanacross Camp 1961 - 1962 Tanacross a joint military winter training site for American and Canadian forces.
Tanacross Post 1942 - 1945 Tanacross A WWII Army post across the river from town, protecting the Alaska Highway.
 
Tidball Fort 1941 - 1946 Long Island Battery 296 (1942 - 1945) is located here on Castle Bluffs. The guns are long gone, but the empty shields still remain. Also here was Battery Deer Point (1942 - 1945) four 155mm guns on Panama mounts (mounts still remain). Several structures still remain.
Tongass Fort Jun 1868 - Sep 1870 Tongass Island An American military fort built one month before Fort Wrangel.
Treadwell Camp 1907 Treadwell, Douglas Island A temporary Army guard detail for the Alaska Treadwell Gold Mining Company.
Valdez Camp 1942 - 1968 Valdez A military recreational facility.
Wainwright Fort 1940 - present Fairbanks Originally Ladd Field, an Army Air Corps field activated in 1940, this post was transferred to US Army jurisdiction in 1961 and given its present title in honor of General Jonathan M. Wainwright, the World War II "hero of Bataan."
Whittier Post 1942 - 1945 Whittier A WWII Army post. An AMTB battery may have been located here. The U.S. Army's Military Supply Terminal (1940 - 1960) was also established here.
Wrangell Fort 1867 - 1870, 1874 - 1877, 1898 - 1900 Wrangell, Wrangell Island The Russians built a stockaded post here, in 1834, to resist encroachments by the Hudson Bay Company and named it Redoubt St. Dionysius. In 1839 the Russian-American Company leased a portion of Southeastern Alaska to their British competitors, who changed the name to Fort Stikine.  The United States established a military post here in 1867, which was maintained with interruptions until May, 1877, and then abandoned. This post was called Fort Wrangell. During the Klondike Gold Rush era, the community was a key outfitting center for miners heading up the Stikine River.  The names of the community and numerous other geographic features in the locale are derived from Ostrov Vrangelya, "Wrangell Island," by which the Russians were honoring Baron Ferdinand Petrovich von Wrangell, vice-admiral in the Imperial Russian Navy and governor of Ruissian America, 1830-1835, when the original stockaded post was established.  The 100-mil long Wrangell Mountains north of the Saint Elias range and a 1,000 to 1,600 foot high range on Attu Island in the Aleutians are also namesakes of the baron.  Often misspelled Wrangle and Wrangel. A post-office was established here in October, 1885, called Fort Wrangell, and changed to Wrangell in 1902. The original Russian spelling was later changed to Wrangell. The British Hudson's Bay Co. Wrangell Post (1898 - 1901) was also here.
Yakutat Bay Fort 1796 - unknown Yakutat A Russian fortified Sheilikof Fur Company trade post where the Czar ordered the settlement of convicts.
Yakutat Post 1940 - 1946 Yakutat A two-gun 6-inch naval gun battery (partially destroyed) protected the military airfield. A four-gun 155mm battery on Panama mounts was located at Point Carrow (mounts still remain).
Yukon Fort 1847 - 1869,
1897 - 1898
Fort Yukon Originally a Hudson's Bay Company post, "Fort Youcan," established by McMurray of the HBritish Columbia, composed of three log buildings within a 100-foot square stockade, and a blockhouse in each corner. The post, the first English-speaking enterprise in Alaska, operated on Russian America soil in violation of Russian sovereignty; but when title to the territory passed to the United States in 1867, the site was taken over by the Alaska Commercial Company.  The HBritish Columbia had already rebuilt the fort one mile away in 1864 due to erosion problems. The U.S. Army reoccupied the site in 1897 to help local miners.  Also located in the immediate vicinity is the USAF's Fort Yukon Air Station.