Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 




In The News


Fairbanks Daily News-Miner and Tanana Tribune
Fairbanks, Alaska
Saturday, July 13, 1912
Tenth Year--Number 119
Whole Number 2861.


For the more convenient landing of their freight, the Samson Hardware Company has a crew of men at work today building a substantial landing from the river bank at the end of the Turner Street bridge out into the stream where it can be reached by any of the freighters. Some of the timbers salved from the runaway bridge and then not used in the repairs are being utilized.



Having successfully landed the Charles Beam freight at the Chena Hot Springs, and that for some of the miners on the South Fork, Tom Gibson is back in the city, having come in yesterday morning between three and 4 o'clock. Gibson made the trip by means of his knuckle-joint motorboat and a poling boat.



Assistant U. S. Attorney Gillette, on Friday last sent for his family, who have been living in Fairbanks, and expects them to arrive in Tanana early next week. The Gillette's will occupy the Stoddard home on first Avenue.

As a result of a conference with the district attorney, Mr. Gillett states that he will be in Tanana for the greater part of the summer at least, because of the ease with which points up and down the Yukon may be reached in summer from this point, and also in view of the probability of a term of court being held here in August.--Yukon Valley News.



Northern Camp Looks Good to Wm. Gafford, a Recent Arrival.

Back from the Koyukuk, William Gafford, new at the third Avenue hotel, is figuring on picking up an outfit and returning in a short time to the Northern Camp.

True, he was not in the Koyukuk very long, but he saw enough to know that it is a place he wishes to investigate further.

Of course, in the deep ground on Hammond River prospecting is very slow, particularly as there is little machinery in the camp, but some of the operators are getting the money.

The thing that looks best to the stranger above the Koyukuk is the fact that all of the men are minors and are one in the hills themselves prospecting.



Former Fairbanks Woman Founds Business House on Long Creek.

Louis Spitz Has Returned.

Old-Time Liquor Dealer Back in the Business at Ruby.

Enthusiastic over a future of Ruby, Mrs. F. Mathes, who left Fairbanks June 9, returned on the white seal from the lower camp this morning and says that she is planning on going back to Ruby next year and making her home there. At present her husband is in the lower camp and will remain there through the winter while she will go Outside.

During her stay at Ruby, Mrs. Mathes visited the creeks and talked with the various minors and there is not the least doubt in her mind from what she saw that the camp will be a good one another year. Long Creek and bear pop in particular show real pay streaks. Of course, the miners have not had any machinery as yet and so have been handicapped, but most of them are getting some in, and will be working this winter.

Ruth Sherburne's Store.

The camp of Ruby looks good to Mrs. Ruth Sherburne who has purchased a stock of goods at a cost of $3000 and freighted them on too long Creek at great expense. There she is going to run the store and back house, for there will be a little town on Long Creek.

The reports of Ruby, that Louis Seitz, the former Fairbanks liquor dealer, heard on the Outside, made him restless so he to, is back to cast his fortune with the new _________ who came up on the deal this morning brought in a large stock of liquors to the new camp and now is opening a saloon and beer_______. He is also erecting a fine residence up on the hill at Ruby.



Miss Halley, formerly on the Cleary City telephone switchboard and more recently in the Iditarod, arrived this morning on the Deal from Ruby City. Miss Halley has just returned from the Outside, first visiting Ruby.



Guggs Having Trouble Landing Their Freight at Iditarod.


Reports From the New Innoko Strike Continue to be Favorable.

Arrivals from the Iditarod say that the lower country is suffering greatly from a water shortage, the lack of water preventing satisfactory mining operations, while it greatly handicaps the shippers of supplies and machinery. Thus, the movement of the machinery for the Guggenheims who are installing dredges on Flat Creek is proceeding very slowly, the company is having trouble in getting the freight up to Idiatrod City. On her last trip down river the water was so low to the Iditarod that the White Goat dragged bottom for 29 miles. Of course, it was impossible for her to get up above ______ to Iditarod.

Many idle men, between 300 and 400 are reported to be hanging around Iditarod at present without money, water shortage and the _______ down of plants taken _______ the Guggenheims being responsible.

Reports from the new strike up the Innoko at Fox Gulch about 75 miles below Ophir City, continue to be very favorable and several Idiatroders are moving into the new camp.



Valdez Man Has Some Quartz Interests Along the Trail.

Business which called him to Fairbanks, G. Patterson, of Valdez, has just arrived from the East, having driven over the Valdez trail with the team.

The Valdez man has some mining interests at different points along the way, and this was one of the reasons for making the trip at this time.

He will leave on his return shortly at which time he will stop in the vicinity of the rapids to give some attention to the fine quartz in that section.


Joe Chambers, who arrived on the monarch Saturday, reports that he has almost cleaned up his supply of chickens, and other livestock, and perishables brought in on that steamer.



Nome Men Found Plenty of Hardships Down There, but No Gold.


Mules Would Fall So Far They Would Not Hear Them Strike.

Many Fairbanksans had the Bolivia fever last winter and came near stampeding when the letters were flooding the country, hence the following from a Seattle paper of recent date will prove of interest:

"This is the greatest fake stampede that ever was conceived. We wouldn't trade an acre of boggy, soggy, squash E Alaska tundra for the whole country. We're coming back, stung again." This is the manner in which Robert D. Adams, Earl Hyde, Tom Doyle and many other well-known Alaskan mining men sized up a Bolivia, the country to which they stampeded last winter in great haste and expectation.

News of a big gold strike was received in Seattle last fall, and immediately Earl Hyde hurried to Washington, where he gathered up a number of passports and other documents, all covered with gold seals, blue ribbons and other insignia calculated to impress the Spanish mind with his importance. Great were the expectations of the Northerners, is still greater was their disappointment. One letter from Bob Adams to Felix Brown, of Seattle, written like the other, for the purpose of warning Alaskans that Bolivia is a good country to keep away from, explains the situation. Adams owns an orange ranch in California, for which he paid $140,000. His letter is corroborated by Tom Doyle, who invested his Alaskan fortune in _______ Farms, and by others. The Adams letter, among other things says:

"That alleged strike on Tipuana River and the Ferguson letter, telling of the riches to be found there is a fake. There's absolutely nothing to it.

Tells of Experiences

"I arrived in La Paz in March and purchasing mules there, rode to this town, Serita, and from herewith as carried over the High Cordilleras for the Tipuana River, where the strike was supposed to have been made. Was eight days traveling over the worst trail in the world, bar none. The elevation at the summit was more than 18,000 feet and the trail beyond would make a man be dizzy. If the mule stumbled off the trail you wouldn't even hear him drop. You couldn't even hear the echo of the Bray. Nor would you see where he landed. Three Alaskans behind us lost several mules. One of them had$3,000 in American gold in the pack. They never found the mule or the money nor could they set down to where the mule lit.

"We found that no man named Ferguson had ever been on the Tipuana River, nor was there any trader there to buy the gold. There isn't any gold for anybody to buy. The whole thing was a frame up to get American money and American minors down here.

"Some gold was taken out by the Indians a long time ago, and the Spaniards got a little metal also, but they picked it clean. It wouldn't run an ounce to the square mile.

"It would take much capital to attempt to search the lower levels and there is no available labor. Freight costs $600, Bolivian, a ton. Two white men have been mining on the river, one for eight and one for 20 years, and both are broke.

No Paying Placers.

"So far as I can ascertain from all records and interviews and the local history, there is not a solitary paying place or mine in all of South America. Should an American find a new field, he would have but small chance of making anything. There is more litigation here when anything worthwhile is found, then the people of Alaska ever dreamed of, and a stranger has no chance in the courts.

"My partner and myself were the first of the Stampeders to reach the Tipuana. We had a tough trip down that stream. I lost 25 pounds in weight, and I was in good condition when I started. We have been chewed on by every kind of blood, fly and mosquito known to science. On two occasions we were out of grub for 36 hours, and were kicking at the mules along the trail so steep that in places it hung over backwards. We finally quit the mules and walked in here, all in.

"M. C. Emerson, Roy Cutting and Jack Tobin, all of Nome, are at La Paz. Till Price and Chris Temper arrived in Tipuana as we were leaving and intend to stay there a while. Tom Doyle is on his way over the divide. Earl Hyde and a bunch of others are struggling to get back. I will wait here a while to see if any of them need assistance, and then will beat it back to California."

A letter from Tom Doyle states that Hyde has returned to La Paz, and that others are endeavoring to get back across the mountains. All have plenty of food and good health, but are showing signs of the hardships through which they have passed.



Captain Sproule's Boat Maintaining Regular Iditarod Schedule.

From Nenana last night Whiteley & Karstens, agents for the steamer White Seal, received a telegram sent by Capt. Sproule, owner and purser, advising them to bill the boat out this evening on the return trip to the Iditarod.

This morning the Seal reached port about 8 o'clock when it was decided to send her out Monday evening.

The Seal is maintaining a regular semimonthly schedule to and from Iditarod this season.

The Seal carried 34 passengers out of Dikeman, 21 of whom left at Holy Cross for the Outside. Of these 12 comprised the Doc Mading party. Following is the list of passengers who came in this morning:

From Dikeman--Mrs. Thos. Markuson.

From Iditarod--Sam Luana, Eric Orn, A. Rippa, Geo. Alsoff, Nick Kaloff.

From Ruby--Louis Spitz, Mrs. F. Mathes, Miss Halley.

From Hot Springs--E. Hannouer, Bill Dickinson.


MOVING PICTURES. Two new films every evening at the Tanana. Drop in and see the new pictures as they arrive. Pete Lorentzen, Prop.


Golden Eagle Hotel, Ester City. Bar and dining-room in connection. Wm. C. Harp, Prop.


Third Avenue Hotel Cafe. Remodeled and renovated throughout. Never closed. Give us a call and you'll call again. R. E. Henneman, Caterer.


Pioneer Hotel. A complete establishment with first class service. D. Petree, Prop.


When in town stop at the Third Ave. Hotel. $1.00 to $2.50 per day. H. D. Fountain, Prop.



Among the departures from the city this morning was Jack Clayworth, who left for the Circle camp, where he will visit Mastodon Creek, on some matters of private business.


Tom Davis and Henry Hollis, in their second hole sunk on the bench of number three, deep Creek, which is a tributary to lower Fairbanks Creek, have encountered some good prospects. This is at a distance of 15 feet from the bottom of the shaft where they have run into ground that will go $.75 to the square foot. They will continue their drifting.



Calder, of Calder Gulch, the one for whom the engineer Creek tributary is named, is seriously ill at his Wendell Avenue home, although somewhat improved in his condition of late.



To visit his people in Iowa, E. M. Bockfinger is now on his way down River toward the Outside.

Bockfinger will also go to Denver where his brother lives and investigate the stamp mill question for he is interested in quartz on Fairbanks Creek and might need a mill one of these days.



Fatal Accident on Flat -- Stampede to Innoko -- Motors for Traction Co. -- Creditors Would Bankrupt Operator -- Wireless System -- Notes.

The Iditarod pioneer, and its issue of June 22 has the following items:

Stampede to Innoko Camp.

The first batch of Stampeders for the scene of the new strike on the right limit of the Innoko River left this camp within a few hours after the arrival of Fred Anderson with the news, and all week the exodus has continued. Some are going in with outfits which will enable them to stay and prospect, most have supplies for but a few days, and are merely making a flying visit in the hope of getting hold of some ground.

Among those who went over land without delay were Charles Knell and Walter Hunter, of more Creek; J. Brondino, of three below otter, who took a pack mule along; John Klonos, Young Dan McCarty, Billy Devans, Fred Vaughn and many others whose names were not obtainable. It is said that over 30 left flat and discovery the first two days, among them being several newly arrived Slavonians, who had no means and little grub.

Fred Anderson, J. J. Price, Archie Mitchell, Shorty Nelson, Erickson, Ed Fondahn and W. G. Adams left on Al Chapin's launch Monday, taking two polling boats, plenty of provisions and the drill. Another party got away the same evening. Walter Hunsaker, Andy Anderson, Billy Ward, Bert Walker and others left on Tuesday on the launch Otter. C. D. Flannagan, L. Nyholm, Henson and two others left Wednesday. On the comet, which got away Wednesday afternoon, were Albert Wile, Ed Johnson, H. Jensen, A. McDonald, O. M. Grant,A. Baro, Frank Gularte and several others. The comet was in charge of Capt. Gene Norton and Capt. Pearson.

Dan Campbell, who had intended to go to mud River with J. J. Price and Albert Wile, followed them to the new strike, going overland.

Bob Griffs, of the firm of Haley & Griffs, Diskaket, will take a look at the camp and if the outlook is promising will rush up a large quantity of supplies.


Hopeful Note from Ruby Camp.

J. H. Richards received a letter from Ruby the first of the week which says that conditions in the Yukon camp are improving. The writer of the letter, Mr. Jourdan, says that the northern commercial company has commenced the construction of a store and warehouse on the opposite side of Ruby Creek, and premises are also being erected in the same locality for the Ruby Telephone Company. The latter concern is erecting polls all over the town and on the creeks, and it will not be very long before the system becomes available for public use. The creeks are showing up better from week to week.

The influx of people to Ruby had been practically nil up to the time the letter was written, but Ruby-ites are confident a large number of minors will migrate there this fall.


Fatal Accident on Flat Creek.

Yesterday morning, at 1:30, on the Shropshire & Burns lay, flat Creek, Batist Fonatine, an Italian miner, was fatally injured. A slab of frozen dirt fell upon him, crushing his shoulder and chest and breaking his back. He was hurried to the emergency hospital, flat city; but, although he receive prompt attention, he died shortly after admission.

Just before he passed away the deceased appeared to rally and was able to talk a little. Very little seems to be known about him except that he was an old timer, and spent last winter prospecting in the Kuskokwim. He had been working for Shropshire & Burns for about six days. Esther Shropshire tire took the acident very much to heart, and did all he could for the unfortunate man.

Commissioner E. M. Stanley held an inquest on the body yesterday, the following jury men being called: William Amalong, F. A. Cleveland, A. J. Colwell, George Rich and Ed Britt. The verdict exonerated Messrs. Shropshire and Burns from all blame, the evidence showing neither carelessness nor negligence on their part.


Would Install Wireless at Ophir City.

The Alaska wireless tie at telegraph company has a plant at Dikeman which is not working and is ready to install in the old diggings if sufficient inducement offers. P. M. Hall, of the local wireless station said that while the Alaska wireless telegraph company did not think there was sufficient business in the Ophir district to warrant the installation of a plant there at the present time, yet, if the people of that section could get together and agree to share part of the cost of erection, the company would be prepared to go ahead. The plant at Dikeman could be shipped up the Innoko at small cost; but the most expensive item in the outfit--the high pole--would have to be secured and prepared in the vicinity of the proposed new station.

With the installation of a wireless system at Ophir city, or some other point in the neighborhood, the miners and merchants of the district would be brought within six hours of the outside, instead of about six weeks or more, as is the case at present.

Mr. Hall will give all further information to those interested.


Motors for Traction Company.

The traction motors for the Iditarod traction company are expected to arrive at Iditarod about Tuesday next. They were supposed to come down River on the Susie, but missed connecting with that steamer by a few hours, and were shipped on the Schwatka, leaving Dawson on the 18th.

The motors are of 45 hp each.

The company is also bringing into special freight cars, each having a capacity of 8 tons deadweight.

The motors are expected to be in working trim within a few hours after their arrival, and a great saving in time by their use is looked for. The public will be duly notified when the new system becomes operative.


Change of Trustee for Slippern Mill.

The trusteeship of the Slippern Mill has been turned over to J. A. Slippern, vice Robert Prichard, resigned. Mr. Slippern is now engaged in winding up the affairs of the mill, and expects to finish and close the books during the summer. There are still considerable assets to be realized and a few liabilities to be liquidated.


Red Wing Had 12 Passengers.

A considerable number of people watched the departure last Sunday morning of the red wing, which is bound for the Koyukuk. In addition to Messrs. Beattie and Mitchell, who organize the party, there were aboard Herman Westover, Ernest Johnson, Joe Mikuta, C. E. Smith, J. Z. Kimberlin, M. Gard, Harry Davis (for Nultao only) and several others. Most of them go for a prolonged stay in the northern camp, but Smith, Kimberlin and Gard will probably come out before the freeze up.



Fred Galli expects to leave within a few days for the Kuskokwim. He will travel by polling boat, going down River as far as Russian mission, on the Yukon, thence over the portage to the Kuskokwim. He will then travel upstream as far as Georgetown, where he will probably locate for the season. Galli expects to spend next winter trapping and prospecting.

J. R. McGovern, who returned from a tour at the creeks Wednesday, says there was not an idle man on Otter Creek when he was there a few days ago. He estimated that there were about 375 minors at work on otter at that time. Work on flat is being retarded on acount of non-arrival of the machinery for the dredge.


Flat City Notes.

Abe Weiss paid a visit to Iditarod Wednesday.

Mr. Wood, of flat city, who has been ill with stomach trouble for some time, is now much better.

George Marsh was a visitor in Flat Wednesday.

Graham Sirwell is working for the Yukon gold company.

Charley Suter visited Iditarod Tuesday.

Angus McClellan visited Iditarod Tuesday.

Hank Radwell arrived at Flat Wednesday from the South Fork of the Kuskokwim. He left here a year ago and has been prospecting and trapping in the Kuskokwim country since that time.

Manager Hurley, of the American Bank of Alaska, was a visitor at Flat Tuesday.

Jim H___ paid a visit to Iditarod Tuesday.

Mr. L____, who got his hand hurt last week, is better and has been back to work on otter Creek. He was cared for at the emergency hospital.

Miss Kotach paid a visit to Miss Coolidge on Flat Creek Tuesday.

Miss Anna G. Anderson has accepted a position with the Yukon gold company as stenographer.

Doc Mading returned to Flat Saturday.

Mrs. Suter and Mrs. Lowrey rode into Iditarod on horseback Friday.

Billy Kay and Jack Lindsay returned from the Kuskokwim Tuesday.

J. W. Charlton was a visitor to Flat city Thursday.

Mrs. Schwartz, of otter Creek, is visiting Mrs. Ashby Bain at Flat city.

Jack White has returned from his stay in Iditarod.

Oscar Anderson is very proud of the conductors Which he received by the last mail. It has the words "Iditarod traction company" in gold letters on it and looks quite smart.

James Fraser, the discovery merchant, paid a visit to Iditarod city Wednesday.

Shorty Davenport returned from the Kuskokwim Tuesday.

Chester Riley is still a very sick man at the emergency hospital, and his friends are much concerned about his condition.

Paul Garcken is working on the Keystone drill on otter Creek, for the Yukon gold company.

It is reported in Flat city that the Yukon Gold Company has taken an option on several claims on Slate Creek, which runs into Otter near Discovery.


Gave Captain Letter of Thanks.

Passengers who arrived from Whitehorse on the steamer Tanana say they had an exceedingly pleasant trip and are grateful to Capt. Langley for the manner in which their interests were served and their comfort catered to. Prior to disembarking the pleased travelers presented Capt. Langley with a letter of thanks.


A. J. Maiden, who is mining on bedrock bar in the upper Chena, did not get away from town until today as his departure was delayed by a leaky boat. He was ready to leave a couple of days ago, but found that he had to stop and recaulk his boat.


George Goranson, who with Freeman Anderson, was injured near Hot Springs a short time ago, died at the Fort Gibbon hospital July 30 and was buried that same evening. Goranson was a deckhand on the steamer Schwatka and was struck on the four head by a flying cable when it parted. He did not regain consciousness. Anderson sustained a broken arm.





ęCopyright 2016 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress