Woody Island is located in Chiniak Bay,
2.6 miles east of Kodiak. The local name is Lesnoi Island. It lies at
approximately 57░ 47' N Latitude, 152░ 20' W Longitude (Sec. 31, T028S,
R020W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kodiak
Recording District. The area encompasses 0 sq. miles of land and 0 sq.
miles of water.
is believed that the Russians were using Woody Island as an agricultural
colony as early as 1792. The Russian American Ice Company (later known
as Kodiak Ice Co. after 1867) imported horses to Woody Island and built
a road around the island. Boat-building flourished both at Kodiak and
Woody Island during the late 1800s. A post office was established in
1894, and was discontinued in 1895. The American Baptists have
maintained 500 acres as an orphanage site until 1937, a ranch until the
1980s, and a summer youth camp (Camp Woody), which has operated since
1956. Summer cabins are also scattered over the Island.