is located on Cape Prince of Wales, at the western tip of the Seward
Peninsula, 111 miles northwest of Nome. It lies at approximately 65░ 37'
N Latitude, 168░ 05' W Longitude (Sec. 05, T002N, R045W, Kateel River
Meridian). The community is located in the Cape Nome Recording District.
The area encompasses 2 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
A burial mound of the "Birnirk" culture
(500 A.D. to 900 A.D.) was discovered near Wales and is now a national
landmark. In 1827 the Russian Navy reported the Eskimo villages of "Eidamoo"
near the coast and "King-a-ghe" further inland. In 1890, the American
Missionary Association established a mission here, and in 1894 a
reindeer station was organized. A post office was established in 1902.
Wales became a major whaling center due to its location along migratory
routes, and it was the region's largest and most prosperous village,
with more than 500 residents. The influenza epidemic in 1918-19 claimed
the lives of many of Wales' finest whalers.