Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Upper Kalskag
 

 

Upper Kalskag is located on the north bank of the Kuskokwim River, 2 miles upriver from Lower Kalskag. It lies 28 miles west of Aniak, 68 miles northeast of Bethel and 348 miles west of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 61░ 32' N Latitude, 160░ 20' W Longitude (Sec. 27, T017N, R061W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kuskokwim Recording District. The area encompasses 4 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.

The original residents were from Kaltkhagamute, located on a slough four miles to the southwest. At the turn of the century, they moved to the present village site. George Morgan, a German immigrant who founded Georgetown, established a general store in Upper Kalskag and became its first postmaster in 1932. A government school was built in 1931. At this time, the community owned a herd of 2,100 reindeer. Over the years, residents of Crow Village, Russian Mission and Paimute moved to Upper Kalskag. The Russian Orthodox practitioners in the village relocated to establish Lower Kalskag in 1940. The villagers who remained were primarily Roman Catholic practitioners.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress