is located on the northwest coast of the Alaska Peninsula, 16 miles up
the Ugashik River. It lies at approximately 57░ 30' N Latitude, 157░ 23'
W Longitude (Sec. 09, T031S, R050W, Seward Meridian). The community is
located in the Kvichak Recording District. The area encompasses 88 sq.
miles of land and 9 sq. miles of water.
Yup'ik Eskimos and Aleuts jointly
occupied the area historically. This Aleut village was first recorded in
1880 as "Oogashik." In the 1890s, the Red Salmon Company developed a
cannery, and Ugashik became one of the largest villages in the region.
The 1919 flu epidemic decimated the population. The cannery has
continued to operate under various owners. The Briggs Way Cannery opened
in 1963. The village has a small year-round population.