Hills is located near the mouth of the Twin Hills River, a tributary of
the Togiak River, 386 miles southwest of Anchorage. It lies at
approximately 59░ 05' N Latitude, 160░ 13' W Longitude (Sec. 03, T013S,
R066W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bristol Bay
Recording District. The area encompasses 31 sq. miles of land and 1 sq.
miles of water.
The village was established in 1965 by
families who moved from Togiak to avoid the recurrent flooding there.
Some residents migrated from Quinhagak on Kuskokwim Bay. The people have
strong cultural ties to the Yukon-Kuskokwim region, because many of
their ancestors migrated to Togiak following the 1918-19 influenza
epidemic. School was first conducted in the church during 1967-68. A
school building was constructed in 1972, but it burned in 1976. A new
school was built in 1978. A post office was established around 1977,
although there have been some interruptions of service.