lies on the south bank of the Tuluksak River at its junction with the
Kuskokwim River. The village is 35 miles northeast of Bethel. It lies at
approximately 61░ 06' N Latitude, 160░ 58' W Longitude (Sec. 27, T012N,
R066W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bethel
Recording District. The area encompasses 3 sq. miles of land and 1 sq.
miles of water.
The name was first published in 1861 as
"Tul'yagmyut," an Eskimo word meaning "related to loon." The 1880 U.S.
Census noted a population of 150 living in the village.