is located at mile 79 on the Richardson Highway, south of the Tonsina
River, next to Kenny Lake, 52 miles northeast of Valdez. It lies at
approximately 61░ 39' N Latitude, 145░ 10' W Longitude (Sec. 35, T002S,
R001E, Copper River Meridian). The community is located in the Chitina
Recording District. The area encompasses 22 sq. miles of land and 0 sq.
miles of water.
A U.S. Army Signal Corps telegraph
station, post office and general store were established here in 1902.
The Tonsina Lodge was built in 1903 along the Valdez-Eagle Trail; it
burned in 1928. The Tiekel Lodge and Tsaina Lodge were also built in
this area. Development began during the oil era. Pump Station 12 was
constructed nearby to move oil over Thompsen Pass to the pipeline
terminal in Valdez.