Springs is located on the east side of Chichagof Island, on the north
shore of Tenakee Inlet. It lies 45 miles southwest of Juneau, and 50
miles northeast of Sitka. It lies at approximately 57░ 46' N Latitude,
135░ 13' W Longitude (Sec. 21, T047S, R063E, Copper River Meridian). The
community is located in the Sitka Recording District. The area
encompasses 12 sq. miles of land and 5 sq. miles of water.
The word Tenakee is from the Tlingit
word "tinaghu," meaning "Coppery Shield Bay." This refers to three
copper shields, highly prized by the Tlingits, that were lost in a
storm. Early prospectors and fishermen came to the site to wait out the
winters and enjoy the natural hot springs in Tenakee. Around 1895, a
large tub and building were constructed to provide a warm bathing place.
In 1899, Ed Snyder Snyder's Mercantile, which still operates today. A
post office arrived in 1903. Originally called Tenakee, the name was
altered to Tenakee Springs in 1928. Improvements to the hot springs
facilities were made in 1915 and 1929; the existing bathhouse was
constructed in 1940. Several canneries operated in the area between 1916
and 1974. A logging camp operated for a time at Corner Bay.