Takotna is located in Interior Alaska on
the north bank of the Takotna River in a broad scenic river valley, 17
air miles west of McGrath in the Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mountains. It lies at
approximately 62░ 59' N Latitude, 156░ 04' W Longitude (Sec. 35, T034N,
R036W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Manley Hot
Springs Recording District. The area encompasses 15 sq. miles of land
and 0 sq. miles of water.
has been known as Berry Landing, Portage City, Takotna City, Takotna
Station, and Tocotna. In 1908, merchants in Bethel hired Arthur Berry to
bring supplies up the Takotna River. The village was founded at the
farthest point on the river Berry's small sternwheeler was able to
reach. By 1912, the community had several stores which supplied miners.
Gold discoveries in the upper Innoko Region enabled the town to prosper.
By 1919, there were several commercial companies, roadhouses, a post
office, and about 50 houses. In 1921, the Alaska Road Commission
improved the Takotna-Ophir road, and an airfield was constructed. In
1923, a radio station began broadcasting in Takotna, and the town had
its own newspaper, The Kusko Times. Low waters at times precluded the
arrival of steamboats, so the Takotna-Sterling Landing road was
constructed to the Kuskokwim River in 1930. During the 30s, however,
McGrath became the more dominant supply center, and the ACC store
closed. In 1949, construction was begun on nearby Tatalina Air Force
Station. It was the site of a White Alice communications system, but
operations were phased out during the 1980s.