is located on the northwest coast of St. Michael Island, on Norton
Sound. It lies 8 miles north of St. Michael and 120 miles southeast of
Nome. It lies at approximately 63░ 31' N Latitude, 162░ 17' W Longitude
(Sec. 02, T023S, R019W, Kateel River Meridian). The community is located
in the Cape Nome Recording District. The area encompasses 36 sq. miles
of land and 2 sq. miles of water.
Redoubt St. Michael was built at nearby
St. Michael by the Russian-American Company in 1833. The Eskimo village
of "Atroik" or "Atowak" was recorded north of here in 1898 by the U.S.
Coast and Geodetic Survey. The Yup'ik name for the village is "Tapraq,"
and the name Stebbins was first recorded in 1900. The first U.S. Census
occurred in 1950, indicating 80 Yup'ik Eskimos. Reindeer herding has
occurred; there is an unmanaged herd on Stuart Island.