is located on the east bank of the Kuskokwim River, 1.5 miles north of
its junction with the Holitna River. It lies 79 miles east of Aniak, 166
miles northeast of Bethel, and 243 miles west of Anchorage. It lies at
approximately 61░ 42' N Latitude, 157░ 10' W Longitude (Sec. 25, T019N,
R044W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kuskokwim
Recording District. The area encompasses 28 sq. miles of land and 2 sq.
miles of water.
Sleetmute was founded by Ingalik
Indians. The name means "wetstone people," referring to the slate
deposits found nearby. The village has also been known as Sikmiut,
Steelmut and Steitmute. In the early 1830s the Russians built a trading
post at the Holitna River junction 1.5 miles away - but it was relocated
far downriver in 1841. Frederick Bishop started a trading post at
Sleetmute in 1906. A school opened in 1921, followed by a post office in
1923. A Russian Orthodox Church was constructed in 1931, The Saints
Peter & Paul Mission.