Air Force Station, or Shemya Station, is located on Shemya Island on the
western end of the Aleutian Chain. It lies at approximately 52░ 43' N
Latitude, 174░ 07' E Longitude (Sec. 14, T086S, R257W, Seward Meridian).
The community is located in the Aleutian Islands Recording District. The
area encompasses 3 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
The entire group of islands were called
Semichi by the Russians. It is likely the same island called St. Abraham
by Vitus Bering in 1741. The Station was developed during World War II
as an Army Air base, and became an Air Force intelligence site. At its
peak, the Station housed over 1,100 personnel. By 1980, the workforce
had been reduced to 600. Shemya was closed in 1995; there is currently a
small group of caretakers residing on the Station.