is located at the mouth of the Selawik River where it empties into
Selawik Lake, about 70 miles southeast of Kotzebue. It lies 670 miles
northwest of Anchorage. The City is near the Selawik National Wildlife
Refuge, a key breeding and resting spot for migratory waterfowl. It lies
at approximately 66░ 36' N Latitude, 160░ 00' W Longitude (Sec. 20,
T014N, R006W, Kateel River Meridian). The community is located in the
Kotzebue Recording District. The area encompasses 3 sq. miles of land
and 1 sq. miles of water.
Lt. L.A. Zagoskin of the Imperial
Russian Navy first reported the village in the 1840s as "Chilivik." Ivan
Petroff counted 100 "Selawigamute" people in his 1880 census. Selawik is
an Eskimo name for a species of fish. Around 1908, the site had a small
wooden schoolhouse and church. The village has continued to grow and has
expanded across the Selawik River onto three banks, linked by bridges.