Point is located on Humboldt Harbor on Popof Island, off the Alaska
Peninsula, 570 air miles from Anchorage. It lies at approximately 55░
20' N Latitude, 160░ 30' W Longitude (Sec. 08, T056S, R073W, Seward
Meridian). The community is located in the Aleutian Islands Recording
District. The area encompasses 8 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of
Sand Point was founded in 1898 by a San
Francisco fishing company as a trading post and cod fishing station.
Aleuts from surrounding villages and Scandinavian fishermen were the
first residents of the community. Sand Point served as a repair and
supply center for gold mining during the early 1900s, but fish
processing became the dominant activity in the 1930s. The St. Nicholas
Chapel, a Russian Orthodox church, was built in 1933 and is now on the
National Register of Historical Places. Aleutian Cold Storage built a
halibut plant in 1946. Today, it is home to the largest fishing fleet in
the Aleutian Chain.