Mission is located on the west bank of the Yukon River in the
Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, 25 miles southeast of Marshall. It lies 70 air
miles northeast of Bethel and 376 miles west of Anchorage. It lies at
approximately 61░ 47' N Latitude, 161░ 19' W Longitude (Sec. 31, T020N,
R066W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bethel
Recording District. The area encompasses 5 sq. miles of land and 1 sq.
miles of water.
The first Russian American Company fur
trading post on the Yukon River was established here in 1837. The
settlement was recorded as an Eskimo village called "Ikogmiut," meaning
"people of the point," in 1842 by the Russian explorer Zagoskin. The
first Russian Orthodox mission in Interior Alaska was established here
in 1857 by the Russian-Aleut priest Jacob Netzuetov. The mission was
called "Pokrovskaya Mission," and the village name was changed to
Russian Mission in 1900. It was often confused with another village on
the Kuskokwim called "Russian Mission." This village was renamed