Bay is on the west coast of Kuiu Island in the Alexander Archipelago,
southwest of Kake. It lies at approximately 56░ 39' N Latitude, 134░ 17'
W Longitude . The community is located in the Petersburg Recording
District. The area encompasses 32 sq. miles of land and 12 sq. miles of
The site was named in 1933 by the U.S.
Forest Service for Capt. Rowan of the brig Eliza, who traded with the
natives of Southeast Alaska in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.
The name "North Arm Bay of Pillars" was used locally prior to 1933.