Devil is located on both banks of the Kuskokwim River, at the mouth of
Red Devil Creek. It lies 75 air miles northeast of Aniak, 161 miles
northeast of Bethel, and 250 miles west of Anchorage. It lies at
approximately 61░ 45' N Latitude, 157░ 18' W Longitude (Sec. 06, T019N,
R044W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kuskokwim
Recording District. The area encompasses 24 sq. miles of land and 2 sq.
miles of water.
The village was named after the Red
Devil Mine, established in 1921 by Hans Halverson when numerous
quicksilver deposits were discovered in the surrounding Kilbuck-Kuskokwim
Mountains. By 1933, the mine was producing substantial quantities of
mercury. Although the mine changed ownership twice over the years, it
continued to operate until 1971. The mine produced some 2.7 million
pounds of mercury during its operation. A post office was established in
1957 and a state school opened in 1958.