Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Port Graham

 

The community is located at the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula on the shore of Port Graham. It is adjacent to Nanwalek, and 7.5 miles southwest of Seldovia. It lies at approximately 59░ 21' N Latitude, 151░ 49' W Longitude (Sec. 32, T009S, R015W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Seldovia Recording District. The area encompasses 6 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.

Port Graham was originally a cannery and wharf, as reported by the U.S. Geological Survey in 1909. A post office operated between 1938 and 1961. Many of the Native residents are Sugpiaq. A pink salmon hatchery became operational in 1991. In January 1998, the hatchery and village-owned salmon processing plant were destroyed by fire. The plant was rebuilt and re-opened in June 1999.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress