Station is located on the northwest bank of the Yukon River, 11 miles
east of St. Mary's and 26 miles west of Marshall on the Yukon-Kuskokwim
Delta. It lies at approximately 61░ 56' N Latitude, 162░ 52' W Longitude
(Sec. 05, T021N, R074W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in
the Bethel Recording District. The area encompasses 2 sq. miles of land
and 1 sq. miles of water.
The village was first called "Ankachak,"
and later was moved one-third of a mile upriver to a site called "Potiliuk."
The old village site of Kurgpallermuit is located nearby. This village
is a designated historic place -- it was occupied during the bow and
arrow wars between the Yukon and Coastal Eskimos. According to locals,
the Chevak and Pilot Station people periodically fought when the coastal
people traveled up the Kashunak River. A Russian Orthodox Church was
build in the early 1900s, and is one of the oldest structures in the
region. R.H. Sargent of the U.S. Geological Survey first noted the
village name of Pilot Station in 1916. Local riverboat pilots who used
the village as a checkpoint were responsible for this name change. The
community incorporated as a second-class city in 1969.