is located on the south coast of the Alaska Peninsula, 275 miles
southwest of Kodiak and 350 miles southwest of Anchorage. It lies at
approximately 55░ 54' N Latitude, 159░ 09' W Longitude (Sec. 27, T049S,
R064W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Aleutian
Islands Recording District. The area encompasses 37 sq. miles of land
and 8 sq. miles of water.
Perryville was founded in 1912 as a
refuge for Aleut people driven away from their villages by the eruption
of Mt. Katmai. Many villagers from Douglas and Katmai survived the
eruption because they were out fishing at the time. Captain Perry of the
ship "Manning" transported people from the Katmai area to Ivanof Bay,
and later, to the new village site. The village was originally called
"Perry," but the "ville" was added to conform to the post office name,
established in 1930.