is located on the Kenai Peninsula, 9 miles north of the City of Kenai,
off of the Sterling Highway. It is also known as Port Nikiski and
Nikishka. It lies at approximately 60░ 44' N Latitude, 151░ 19' W
Longitude (Sec. 02, T006N, R012W, Seward Meridian). The community is
located in the Kenai Recording District. The area encompasses 28 sq.
miles of land and 90 sq. miles of water.
Traditionally in Kenaitze Indian
territory, the area was homesteaded in the 1940s, and grew with the
discovery of oil on the Kenai Peninsula in 1957. By 1964, oil-related
industries located here included Unocal, Phillips 66, Chevron and