Stuyahok is located on the Nushagak River, about 12 miles upriver from
Ekwok and 52 miles northeast of Dillingham. The village has been
constructed at two elevations -- one 25 feet above river level, and one
about 40 feet above river level. It lies at approximately 59░ 29' N
Latitude, 157░ 20' W Longitude (Sec. 29, T008S, R047W, Seward Meridian).
The community is located in the Bristol Bay Recording District. The area
encompasses 6 sq. miles of land and 2 sq. miles of water.
The present location is the third site
that villagers can remember. The village moved downriver to the
Mulchatna area from the "Old Village" in 1918. During the 1920s and 30s,
the village was engaged in herding reindeer for the U.S. government.
However, by 1942 the herd had dwindled to nothing; the village had been
subjected to flooding; and the site was too far inland even to receive
barge service. So in 1942, the village moved downriver again to its
present location. Stuyahok appropriately means "going downriver place."
The first school was built in 1961. A post office was also established
during that year. An airstrip was built soon thereafter, and the 1960s
saw a 40% increase in the village population.