Village is on the north bank of the Yukon River, approximately 20 miles
west of St. Mary's and 470 miles northwest of Anchorage. It is at the
foot of the 500' Azachorok Mountain, the first mountain encountered by
those traveling up the Yukon. It lies at approximately 62░ 05' N
Latitude, 163░ 43' W Longitude (Sec. 14, T023N, R079W, Seward Meridian).
The community is located in the Bethel Recording District. The area
encompasses 4 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
Mountain Village was a summer fish camp
until the opening of a general store in 1908. This prompted residents of
Liberty Landing and Johnny's Place to immigrate. A Covenant Church
missionary school was also built in that same year. A post office was
established in 1923, followed by a salmon saltery in 1956 and a cannery
in 1964. All three have since ceased operating. Mountain Village became
a regional education center in 1976 when it was selected as headquarters
for the Lower Yukon School District.