Pass is located 26 miles north of Seward on the Kenai Peninsula. It is
on the southwest shore of Upper Trail Lake, off the Seward Highway, at
mile 29.3 of the Alaska Railroad. It lies at approximately 60░ 29' N
Latitude, 149░ 22' W Longitude. The community is located in the Seward
Recording District. The area encompasses 8 sq. miles of land and 1 sq.
miles of water.
The community was first named in 1912 as a station on the Alaska
Railroad. The name is reportedly derived from a mail carrier's team of
dogs that in 1903 had considerable trouble gaining the right-of-way from
a moose. A post office was established in 1928.