is located on the east bank of the Kotlik Slough, 35 miles northeast of
Emmonak in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies 165 air miles northwest of
Bethel, and 460 miles from Anchorage. It lies at approximately 63░ 02' N
Latitude, 163░ 33' W Longitude (Sec. 25, T028S, R026W, Kateel River
Meridian). The community is located in the Bethel Recording District.
The area encompasses 4 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
The community grew during the mid-1960s
when a BIA school was constructed at Kotlik, and residents of the nearby
villages of Channiliut, Hamilton, Bill Moore's Slough, and Pastolaik
relocated. Due to its location with easy access by large riverboats and
barges, Kotlik became one of the larger ports and commercial centers of
the lower Yukon River. Many residents are descendants of Russian traders
that settled in the area surrounding Saint Michael after 1867.