Kodiak Island Borough
Island is located on the eastern side of the Gulf of Alaska. It lies 252
air miles south of Anchorage, a 55 minute flight, and is a 3 hour flight
from Seattle. It lies at approximately 57░ 47' N Latitude, 152░ 24' W
Longitude . The community is located in the Kodiak Recording District.
The area encompasses 6,463 sq. miles of land and 5,383 sq. miles of
Kodiak Island has been inhabited since
8,000 B.C. and was settled by Russian fur trappers in 1792. Sea otter
pelts were the primary incentive for Russian exploration at that time.
Kodiak was the first capital of Russian Alaska, which moved to Sitka
when Alaska was purchased by the U.S. in 1867. Since the Aleutian
Campaign of World War II, several branches of the military have
maintained a presence in Kodiak. The 1960s brought growth in commercial
fisheries and fish processing. The Borough was incorporated in 1963.