is on the west bank of the Knik Arm of Cook Inlet, 17.5 miles northeast
of Anchorage in the Mat-Su Borough. It lies at approximately 61░ 27' N
Latitude, 149░ 43' W Longitude (Sec. 24, T016N, R003W, Seward Meridian).
The community is located in the Palmer Recording District. The area
encompasses 10 sq. miles of land and 10 sq. miles of water.
Knik is a Tanaina Indian village name
meaning "fire," which originally applied to several villages at the head
of Cook Inlet. The primary village was listed as "Kinik" in the 1880
U.S. Census. Knik developed during the 1898-1916 gold rush, and in 1903,
Palmer's Store was constructed. A housing development was constructed
around Settler's Bay Lodge, including a golf course and stables.