is located on the north bank of the Kobuk River, 57 air miles east of
Kotzebue. It lies at approximately 66░ 58' N Latitude, 160░ 26' W
Longitude (Sec. 09, T018N, R008W, Kateel River Meridian). The community
is located in the Kotzebue Recording District. The area encompasses 0
sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
Kiana means "a place where three rivers
meet." It was established long ago as the central village of the Kobuk
River Kowagmiut Inupiat Eskimos. In 1909, it became a supply center for
the Squirrel River placer mines. A post office was established in 1915.
Prior to the formation of the Northwest Arctic Borough in 1976, the BIA
high school taught students from Noatak, Shungnak and Ambler, who
boarded with local residents.