was located at the head of Portage Bay, on the south coast of the Alaska
Peninsula. It lies west of Kodiak Island. It lies at approximately 57░
34' N Latitude, 156░ 02' W Longitude . The community is located in the
Kvichak Recording District. The area encompasses 0 sq. miles of land and
0 sq. miles of water.
Kanatak was first listed as a Native
village in the Census of 1890, having a population of 26. Because of oil
drilling activity in the 1930s, its population increased to 134 in 1940.
It has a post office from 1922 to 1943, and from 1946 to 1954. When this
activity ceased in the 1950s, the village was abandoned.