is located on the Kenai Peninsula on the east shore of Cook Inlet. This
area lies on Kalifornsky Beach Road, and is not locally considered a
community. It lies off the Sterling Highway, 10 miles south of the City
of Kenai. It lies at approximately 60░ 25' N Latitude, 151░ 17' W
Longitude . The community is located in the Kenai Recording District.
The area encompasses 11 sq. miles of land and 3 sq. miles of water.
The village of Kalifonsky was first
noted in 1916 by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. "Kali" means
fishermen. The family name "Kalifornsky" is attributed to a Dena'ina
Indian who worked at the Fort Ross colony in California between 1812 and
the 1820s. Peter Kalifornsky, now deceased, was born in the village and
was the last fluent speaker of the Dena'ina language.