Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Igiugig

 

Igiugig is located on the south shore of the Kvichak River, which flows from Iliamna Lake, on the Alaska Peninsula. It is 50 air miles northwest of King Salmon, southwest of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 59░ 20' N Latitude, 155░ 55' W Longitude (Sec. 08, T010S, R039W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Iliamna Recording District. The area encompasses 27 sq. miles of land and 21 sq. miles of water.

Kiatagmuit Eskimos originally lived on the north bank of the Kvichak River in the village of Kaskanak, and used Igiugig as a summer fish camp. At the turn of the century, these people moved upriver to the present site of Igiugig. Many locals can trace their roots back to the Branch River village. People from that village also moved to Igiugig as it began to develop. A post office was established in 1934, but was discontinued in 1954. Commercial and subsistence fishing sustain the community.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress