is located north of Wasilla in the Mat-Su Borough, 29 miles north of
Anchorage. It lies on the George Parks Highway, at mile 174.9 of the
Alaska Railroad. It lies at approximately 61░ 38' N Latitude, 149░ 50' W
Longitude (Sec. 21, T018N, R003W, Seward Meridian). The community is
located in the Palmer Recording District. The area encompasses 24 sq.
miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
"Houston Siding" was first listed on a
blueprint map of the Alaska Railroad in 1917. The area was homesteaded
during the 1950s. In 1966, Houston became an incorporated city. In June
1996, the "Miller's Reach" wildfire destroyed more than 37,500 acres in
the Houston and Big Lake area, including 433 buildings and homes valued
at $8.9 million.