Bay is on the Southeast mainland on the east shore of Stephens Passage,
74 miles northeast of Sitka. It lies at approximately 57░ 24' N
Latitude, 133░ 28' W Longitude. The community is located in the
Petersburg Recording District. The area encompasses 72 sq. miles of land
and 16 sq. miles of water.
The bay was named in 1889 by Lt. Comdr.
Mansfield of the U.S. Navy. The site was first settled as a logging