Golovin is located on a point of land
between Golovnin Bay and Golovnin Lagoon on the Seward Peninsula. It is
70 miles east of Nome. It lies at approximately 64░ 33' N Latitude, 163░
02' W Longitude (Sec. 11, T011S, R022W, Kateel River Meridian). The
community is located in the Cape Nome Recording District. The area
encompasses 4 sq. miles of land and 0 sq. miles of water.
Eskimo village of "Chinik," located at the present site of Golovin, was
originally settled by the Kauweramiut Eskimos who later mixed with the
Unaligmiut Eskimos. Golovin was named for Captain Vasili Golovnin of the
Russian Navy. In 1887, the Mission Covenant of Sweden established a
church and school south of the current site. Around 1890, John Dexter
established a trading post that became the center for prospecting
information for the entire Seward Peninsula. When gold was discovered in
1898 at Council, Golovin became a supply point for the gold fields.
Supplies were shipped from Golovin across Golovnin Lagoon and up the
Fish and Niukluk Rivers to Council. A post office was opened in 1899.
Reindeer herding was a integral part of the missions in the area in the