Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 






Georgetown is located on the north bank of the upper Kuskokwim River in the Kilbuck-Kuskokwim mountains. It is east of the mouth of the George River, 16 miles northwest of Red Devil. It lies at approximately 61 53' N Latitude, 157 43' W Longitude (Sec. 18, T021N, R046W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Kuskokwim Recording District. The area encompasses 25 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.

The middle Kuskokwim area first experienced contact with Europeans when the Russian explorer Zagoskin sailed upriver to McGrath in 1844. At that time, Georgetown was known as Keledzhichagat, a summer fish camp for residents of Kwigiumpainukamiut. Gold was found along the George River in 1909. This mining settlement and the river were named for three traders: George Hoffman, George Fredericks and George Morgan. By 1910, about 300 prospectors were living on the west side of the George River. About 200 cabins had been built, when a fire swept through the settlement in 1911, destroying all but 25 cabins. Also saved were the two general stores in town -- the Kuskokwim Commercial Company and the Northern Commercial Company. By 1953, the only large structure that remained at the site was the two-story log house belonging to George Fredericks. In the 1950s, the present settlement, on the east side of the George River, began to develop. A State school was established in 1965, and remained until 1970.




Copyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress