Greely is approximately 100 miles southeast of Fairbanks and 10 miles
south of Delta Junction on the Richardson Highway. It lies at
approximately 63░ 58' N Latitude, 145░ 45' W Longitude . The community
is located in the Fairbanks Recording District. The area encompasses 26
sq. miles of land and 2 sq. miles of water.
In 1904 the U.S. Army Signal Corps completed the McCarthy Telegraph
Station in this area. In 1942, in concert with the construction of the
Alaska Highway, airfields were built as part of the lend/lease program
with the Soviet Union. This program involved ferrying American-built
fighter planes to Russia via a number of airfields in Canada and Alaska;
one of these airfields later became Fort Greely. In 1948, Fort Greely
became the Northern Warfare Training Center and the Cold Regions Test
Center for the U.S. Army.