Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

False Pass
 

 

False Pass is located on the eastern shore of Unimak Island on a strait connecting the Pacific Gulf of Alaska to the Bering Sea. It is 646 air miles southwest of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 54░ 51' N Latitude, 163░ 24' W Longitude (Sec. 34, T061S, R094W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Aleutian Islands Recording District. The area encompasses 15 sq. miles of land and 2 sq. miles of water.

The name False Pass is derived from the fact that the Bering Sea side of the strait is extremely shallow and cannot accommodate large vessels. The area was originally settled by a homesteader in the early 1900s, and grew with the establishment of a cannery in 1917. Natives immigrated from Morzhovoi, Sanak Island and Ikatan when the cannery was built. A post office was established in 1921. The cannery operated continuously, except for 1973 - 1976, when two hard winters depleted the fish resources. The cannery was subsequently purchased by Peter Pan Seafoods. It was destroyed by fire in 1984, and was not rebuilt.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress