is on the Copper River highway, 5.5 miles southeast of Cordova, in the
Malaspina Coastal Plain. It was annexed to the City of Cordova in 1992,
and is the area considered to be the Native Village of Eyak. It lies at
approximately 60░ 31' N Latitude, 145░ 36' W Longitude . The community
is located in the Cordova Recording District. The area encompasses 13
sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
Eyak was first reported in 1869 as "Hyacks,"
an Aleut village, and then in 1880 as "Ihiak." In 1899, Lt. Comdr.
Moser, USN, reported it as a cannery called "Odiak." The area has
historically been the home to Aleuts, with the addition of migrating
Athabascan and Tlingit natives calling themselves Eyak. Alaska Natives
of other descents also settled in the Cordova area. The rich resources
of the area have attracted a non-Native population.