Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Ekwok
 

 

Ekwok is located along the Nushagak River, 43 miles northeast of Dillingham, and 285 miles southwest of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 59░ 22' N Latitude, 157░ 30' W Longitude (Sec. 35, T009S, R049W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Bristol Bay Recording District. The area encompasses 20 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.

Ekwok means "end of the bluff," and is the oldest continuously occupied Yup'ik Eskimo village on the river. During the 1800s, the settlement was used in the spring and summer as a fish camp, and in the fall as a base for berry-picking. By 1923, it was the largest settlement along the river. In 1930, a BIA school was constructed. Mail was delivered by dog sled from Dillingham until a post office opened in 1941. Many of the earliest homes in Ekwok were located in a low, flat area near the riverbank. After a severe flood in the early 1960s, villagers relocated on higher ground, to the current location.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress