Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Eklutna
 

 

Eklutna is located at the head of the Knik Arm of Cook Inlet, at the mouth of the Eklutna River, 25 miles northeast of Anchorage. It is within the boundaries of the Unified Municipality of Anchorage. It lies at approximately 61░ 28' N Latitude, 149░ 22' W Longitude (Sec. 24, T016N, R001W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Anchorage Recording District. The area encompasses 6 sq. miles of land and 4 sq. miles of water.

The Eklutna area was the site of many Athabascan Indian villages as long as 800 years ago. Today's residents are descendants of the Tanaina tribe. A railroad station was built in 1918, and Russian Orthodox missionaries arrived in the 1840s. Brightly-colored "spirit houses" in the Russian Slavic style now lend character to Eklutna. The Eklutna Power House supplies hydroelectric power to Anchorage.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress