Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Delta Junction
 

 

Delta Junction is located at the convergence of the Richardson and Alaska Highways, approximately 95 miles southeast of Fairbanks. The City developed along the east bank of the Delta River, south of its junction with the Tanana River. It offers spectacular views of the Alaska Range. It lies at approximately 64.037780░ North Latitude and -145.73222░ West Longitude. (Sec. 23, T010S, R010E, Fairbanks Meridian.) Delta Junction is located in the Fairbanks Recording District. The area encompasses 17.3 sq. miles of land and 0.0 sq. miles of water. This area of Interior Alaska experiences seasonal extremes. The average low temperature in January is -11 degrees Fahrenheit. The average high during July is 69 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperature extremes ranging from a low of -63 to a high of 92 degrees Fahrenheit have been recorded. Average annual liquid equivalent precipitation is 12 inches, which includes an average annual snowfall of 37 inches.

Tanana Athabascan Indians occupied this site throughout most of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

In 1899 the Army sent parties to investigate the Susitna, Matanuska, and Copper River valleys to find the best route for a trail north from Valdez, through the Copper River valley. By 1901, the Army had completed the Trans-Alaska Military Road, which extended from Valdez to Eagle City.

In 1902, gold was discovered in the Tanana Valley and, shortly after, a spur trail was created from Gulkana on the Valdez-Eagle route to the new mining camp in Fairbanks. This trail became the Valdez-Fairbanks Trail. The Sullivan Roadhouse was built in 1905 by John and Florence Sullivan on a part of the Valdez-Fairbanks Trail known as the Donnelly-Washburn Cut-Off. This section of the trail was considered by many to be too steep, and the Alaska Road Commission built a new road which was removed from the Sullivan Roadhouse by a distance of four miles. The Sullivans tore the roadhouse apart and rebuilt it alongside the new road. Ongoing mining activity just north of Delta Junction in the Tenderfoot area, and the Chisana Gold Strike of 1913, brought many prospectors and other travelers through the area.

The Delta Junction area became known as Buffalo Center for the American bison that were transplanted here from the National Bison Range in Montana in the 1920s. In 1942, construction of the Alaska Highway began, and Fort Greely military base was completed 5 miles to the south.

In 1946, a dairy farm was established; beef cattle were brought in during 1953 by homesteaders. Delta Junction was incorporated as a second-class city in 1960. Construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline between 1974 and 1977 brought a dramatic upswing to the population and economy.

In August 1978, the state initiated Delta Agricultural Project I, a 60,000-acre demonstration agricultural project. Twenty-two parcels, averaging 2,700 acres in size were sold by lottery. Delta Agricultural Project II, an additional land release of 15 parcels totaling 25,000 acres, took place in early 1982. Success of the Delta Agricultural Projects has been highly variable. In 1980, the 70,000-acre Delta Bison Range was created to confine the bison and keep them out of the barley fields. About 6,000-11,000 people apply each year for an average of 40 permits to hunt Delta bison. Delta bison have been used to start three other herds in Alaska.

In 2004, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers completed construction of the Missile Defense Testbed at Fort Greely. It is anticipated that new jobs will be created with the development of the Pogo mine, expected to be operational by mid-2006.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress