Landing is at the west end of Kenai Lake on a stretch of the Sterling
Highway, 30 miles northwest of Seward in the Chugach Mountains. It lies
at approximately 60░ 29' N Latitude, 149░ 50' W Longitude (Sec. 29,
T005N, R003W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Seward
Recording District. The area encompasses 55 sq. miles of land and 5 sq.
miles of water.
Between 1848 and 1851, Russian engineer P. Doroshin found gold in the
area. Cooper Landing was named for Joseph Cooper, a miner who discovered
gold here in 1884. Cooper Creek was first recorded in 1898 by the U.S.
Geological Survey. In 1900, the Census found 21 miners and 1 wife living
at Cooper Creek. The Riddiford Post Office began operations in 1924, and
the Riddiford School opened in 1928. In 1938, a road was constructed to
Seward. In 1948, a road to Kenai was opened, and by 1951, residents
could drive to Anchorage. The Cooper Landing Community Club was first
formed in 1949. The Cooper Lake Hydroelectric Facility was constructed