is located at the mouth of Slate Creek on the east bank of the Middle
Fork Koyukuk River. It lies at Milepost 175 of the Dalton Highway,
formerly known as the North Slope Haul Road. It lies at approximately
67░ 15' N Latitude, 150░ 11' W Longitude. The community is located in
the Fairbanks Recording District. The area encompasses 0 sq. miles of
land and 0 sq. miles of water.
Originally named Slate Creek, Coldfoot
reportedly got its name in 1900 when gold prospectors traveled up the
Koyukuk to this point, then got "cold feet," turned around, and
departed. In 1902, Coldfoot had two roadhouses, two stores, seven
saloons and a gambling house. A post office was established in 1902 and
was discontinued in 1912, when the mine and town was abandoned for other
mines in Nolan and Wiseman Creeks to the north.