Cove is on the northeast coast of Prince of Wales Island in Southeast
Alaska. It lies at approximately 56░ 01' N Latitude, 132░ 50' W
Longitude (Sec. 28, T068S, R082E, Copper River Meridian). The community
is located in the Ketchikan Recording District. The area encompasses 12
sq. miles of land and 4 sq. miles of water.
The site was named in 1886 by Lt.
Comdr. A.S. Snow, USN, for Lt. Dewitt Coffman, a member of his party.
Coffman Cove was first settled as a logging camp in the 1950s. Land was
made available for private ownership through selection under the Alaska
Statehood Act, and the city incorporated in 1989.