is located on the Chickaloon River, on the Glenn Highway, 26 miles
northeast of Palmer in the Talkeetna Mountains. It lies at approximately
61░ 47' N Latitude, 148░ 28' W Longitude (Sec. 25, T020N, R005E, Seward
Meridian). The community is located in the Palmer Recording District.
The area encompasses 47 sq. miles of land and 1 sq. miles of water.
The village was named for the
Chickaloon River, after Chief Chiklu. It was established around 1916 in
this coal-rich region as the terminus of the Matanuska Branch of the