Return to Home 
Research Center Directory 
 



 

 

 

Anchor Point
 

 

The community is located on the Kenai Peninsula at the junction of the Anchor River and its north fork, 14 miles northwest of Homer. It lies at approximately 59░ 46' N Latitude, 151░ 49' W Longitude (Sec. 04, T005S, R015W, Seward Meridian). The community is located in the Homer Recording District. The area encompasses 21 sq. miles of land and 4 sq. miles of water.

In the summer of 1778 Captain James Cook and crews of the Resolution and Discovery sailed into the Inlet looking for a Northwest Passage, and gave Anchor Point its name after losing a kedge anchor to the awesome tidal currents. A post office was established in 1949.

 

 



 


ęCopyright 2014 Alaska Trails to the Past All Rights Reserved
For more information contact the Webmistress