is located on the north bank of the Kobuk River, near the confluence of
the Ambler and the Kobuk Rivers. It lies 138 air miles northeast of
Kotzebue, 30 miles northwest of Kobuk and 30 miles downriver from
Shungnak. It lies at approximately 67░ 05' N Latitude, 157░ 52' W
Longitude (Sec. 31, T020N, R005E, Kateel River Meridian). The community
is located in the Kotzebue Recording District. The area encompasses 12
sq. miles of land and 2 sq. miles of water.
Ambler was permanently settled in 1958
when people from Shungnak and Kobuk moved down stream because of the
variety of fish, wild game and spruce trees in the area. An
archaeological site is located nearby at Onion Portage. A post office
was established in 1963.